Welcome to the California Education and the Environment Initiative
The California Education and the Environment Initiative (EEI) is a free K-12 curriculum that teaches critical skills in science and history-social science using environmental topics, such as water and energy, as a lens.
The EEI Curriculum makes learning relevant and fun for students by engaging them in topics they care about – the air they breathe, the water they drink, and the food they eat. All content is California State Board of Education-approved and helps support Common Core and Next Generation Science Standards. Use the free EEI Curriculum to build your students’ understanding of their relationship to the environment and prepare them to be critical thinkers and 21st century problem solvers.
Top 5 Reasons to Use EEI:
1. It's engaging.
What Teachers Are Saying
"I love the materials and the teacher's guide is easy-to-follow. The students are engaged in the materials and the curriculum is meaningful to them because it focuses on California."
- Julia Butz, Elk Grove Unified
"The workbook and materials are so easy-to-use, and the students really learn the information. The curriculum really got students thinking and talking about real, current issues"
- Elizabeth Katsura, Placer Hills Union Elementary
"It's the best science/social studies program I have used in my 18 years of teaching."
- Jerry Loisel, Fremont Unified
Join the EEI Community
Request free online access to all 85 units of the EEI curriculum.
- 03/09/16 - New Digital Delivery for Environmental Education
- 10/05/15 - California’s Blueprint for Environmental Literacy
- New! Frequently Asked Questions
- How to Order Free EEI Materials
- Download the EEI Curriculum Catalog
- Common Core Correlation Guides
- Next Generation Science Standards Correlation Guides